Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nearing a close: 2011


I always love to make some sort of writing at the end of the year, mentioning some of the most memorable things. This year is no exception, it's been a special year. As 2010 marked a year of personal transformation, 2011 has been a year of continued growth.

In some ways it is also like every other year. You know, life has to go on, and it does every year. For me funny things have to happen to me every year, and this year was no exception. A few noteworthy things were:

1. I lost my keys and had broke into my own apartment.  I got in but still looked like a crook. I had some explaining to do to my neighbors after that!
2. Went snorkeling on the Florida Keys, got a cramp, everybody thought I was getting attacked by a shark.
3. Bought my 14th set of headphones (that I recall) since high school. This time I was smart enough to put a 2 year warranty on it. I finally learned!

Ok that's done with. Overall I feel like I have learned so much this year. I began research as a graduate student. That means that now I read scientific papers on a weekly basis. I am in no way near being an expert right now, but I have realized that there is just so much to learn in my field!!

Just look at the image below. Now normally one would just see the picture and say "Woah look at the clouds", or something like that. Nowadays I look at it and think "Wow that looks like complicated physics". You change like that. In a way you kinda become a little more insane, but not in a bad way.


In many ways I think this year by far has been two things. First of all I think it's been my most successful year professionally.  There is only one reason behind this: I just worked a little harder. I got my serious groove on and did an hour more of work per day. It has made a big difference. It doesn't mean I don't take breaks, I do, I am just better at organizing my time now (though I still get those moments in which I just sit on my exercise ball and do nothing).


Out of the things that 2011 has brought me, one is this obsession of constantly looking at what's going on in the Indian Ocean. A lot of the times it's kinda boring, but sometimes interesting things can brew, like on the loop below.


I guess that's just how it is sometimes. Just take the PhD comic below and substitute the question marks by the loop above, and you get my life on weekdays!



Well okay so maybe it's a little more than that. It's more like thinking about weather instruments, classes, research and donuts! Ok that's not true either! It's a pretty normal life actually, which is pretty much what I always wanted anyways.


Ok so I'm done with this post. Here's saying goodbye to what's probably been my happiest year so far (seriously). So it is with a little bit of sorrow that I say goodbye to it! Here's hoping for a great 2012!

Still merging science with wacky
Ángel F


No comments:

Post a Comment